It was going to be performance, but ive had enough research on performance, and if i did it for this assignment, id be repeating myself.
The word is conflict.
Why? My work is personal and is about personal choices. Its about an inner conflict and outer projection of it. Its about confusion. Its about not knowing the answers. Its about performance, love, hate, confusion, discord, frustration, compulsion all at once.
Conflict:
Pronunciation:
\ˈkän-ˌflikt\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Latin conflictus act of striking together, from confligere to strike together, from com- + fligere to strike — more at profligate
Date:
15th century
1: fight , battle , war
For me, conflict is about the above stated "incompatible or opposing needs, interests, or wishes, or external or internal demands". My work (art work and professional) is suggestive of a heart or mind conflicting with a need or drive to produce, and therefore possess financial security, attention, and comradery in an environment that does not fall in line with my personal beliefs and morals. There are many chapters to be included in a long book of life experience (age 23, ha) that is not right or fair and the bitterness that comes as a result. Conflict is a major characteristic of my work, my life and my actions.
A few quotes that deals with the idea of conflict:
The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who in time of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.
-Dante Aleghieri
(ringing loud and clear!)
The torment of human frustration, whatever its immediate cause, is the knowledge that the self is in prison, its vital force and "mangled mind" leaking away in lonely, wasteful self-conflict.
-Elizabeth Drew
Half of life is fucking up - the other half is dealing with it.
-Henry Rollins
I didn't like doing it, but I didnt really hate it either.
-Main Character, Pure
Ray, Rebecca. Pure. 1. New York: Grove Press, 1998.
Artists that deal with the idea of conflict:
Victoria Van Dyke
Dirty Martini
Takashi Murakami
Sharon Lockhart
Anthony Micaleff
Aaron Ruell
The Goddess Bunny
Suntek Chung
James Nachtway
Pippilotti Rist
Nikki Lee
Chris Verne
Cindy Sherman
Loren Cameron
Stephen Shore
William Eggleston
Hans Neleman
Mitchell Block
Reynold Reynolds
Kara Walker
Jenny Holzer
Barbara Kruger
Andres Serrano
4 comments:
Just one thing about your Dante quote...
Those may be the "hottest seats in Hell," but the Devil and the most sinful people are encased in ice. Unlike the fire n brimstones interpretations of Hell in which the worst people burn, Dante has the - well, technically, least sinful - hottest.
(Just figured I'd mention in case you have yet to read/listen to it - I know I've just finally gotten to getting through the Divine Comedy this summer, and I have the audio version if you would like.)
... And while I fully respect that your life has its own chapters that are less than fun (and some downright awful, I'm sure), if you would like to read a book that would put your relative pain/torture at a lesser degree, I spent the afternoon reading a few different interviews in "Angry Women," in which many of the women were raped (and one story of a three year old, raped by her father. I just about wanted to vomit).
Just a thought, as I have no idea how bad your "bad" is (outside the realm of stripper), just you may want to be careful with stating that your bad makes you bitter/full of life experience, as there will always be someone out there who has had it worse (just like there will always be someone out there who has had it better).
I am sick of you two.
Why can't you people quote normal things like The Godfather? Why do yoy have to quote The Inferno?
Post a Comment