Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Thursday Entry 7


Did anyone critique your work this week? If so, what were their impressions?
i had some feedback in the studio from stephanie. I have two versions of one video that needs a final edit. I also tweaked the Phonejacker video. My main critique was from Simen Johan, which ill get to later.
Impressions of my work are getting less muttled, if you will. Before i was getting a mess of about 600 things. Now im getting more concise criticism....i should keep sticking with the dueling sides of representation and make my video's shorter. I should be less obvious but not totally off the wall.

What was the most motivational or creative moment of the past week?
I feel like ive gotten places with regards to my videos. The last few weeks ive been spinning tires. Ive gotten a better grasp on what works and what doesnt. I shot hours of footage last week, and edited it all this week, and ended up using roughly 4 seconds and that 4 seconds speaks louder then any of the other work ive done. I often feel pressure to use as much footage as possible. That isnt always needed.

What do you want to achieve in next week's studio practice?
Next week I move on to my next "word". The last two weeks ive focused on performance. This week im going to shoot for 7 days in a row while thinking about another word. Perhaps frustration. I havnt entirely decided.

What did you achieve in your studio this past week?
I made about 25 video's. Im going to keep two. I edited a few strip club photo's, which i wont use.

What has been an artistic failure this week?
I really wish i could keep with a consistent style im my video's. Shit.
Also, thomas scott texted me in the middle of the lecture and scared the hell out of me.

What was the most profound thought in relation to your practice this week?
"At least i dont speak as bad him"

If there was a visiting artist this week, what is your impression of their work and process in relation to your own?
Simen gave an excellent crit one on one. He said that my stripper shoe video was too easy and obvious. This came as a relief almost, because almost everyone doesnt get it. He said the same thing about my glitterdick prints.
Simen seemed to think that Phonejacker was the most successful. I shortened it, and took out the monologue. i still cant post it on youtube, though. He said that it worked because it presented both sides to a story, because it didnt take a side and it was light (im assuming he may have meant humorous?). Next, he thought that the carnival piece with the swing loop was the second most successful. He suggested that i take out the 10 frame shot of a stripper on a pole. To him, it was too obvious. Too easy. He said he understands performance, ritual, monotony, fatigue and repetition. He said that it directly references sex. The sound of the loops suggests a squeeky bed as does the repeated movements. Its also a fun ride that you dont have to take, but do anyway.
His lecture was......ok. I think he work is aesthetically pleasing. However, i didnt learn any more from his lecture than i did on the yossi milo site. I was put off by his inability to answer questions posed to him, and then his eventual dismissal of the lecture. Sonali and Paul would kick our asses for that kind of thing.

No comments: