Thursday, January 29, 2009

Well?


Check out http://www.moiralovell.com/photo/1/1.html -- read the statement ... Thoughts?

1 comment:

Nia said...

I agree with her in the idea that the school uniform has basically just breeded submission. She makes an excellent point.

It's a little bit too Dijkstra, though. (in terms of composition and a few other things)

The "intarrogation with the camera" bit bothered me. I mean, I KNOW and the girls in the photos KNOW that the whole get-up is a performance for attention. Did we need the photo to emphasize that fact? Of couse the performance is over once a woman is in a different enviornment.
It makes me wonder.....how many girls did she have to edit out of this to make her point? I wonder how many of her models rocked the entire shoot and could charicterize immediately.

The series holds my attention, but at the end im left with a "well, duh" feeling. I feel like shes making a pretty well known statement about performance, submission and the gaze. I know, I know, I do too, but im working on it.

Overall 7/10. It gets the 7 because Im interested in the breeding of submission within culure.