



1. Artist Biography and brief explanation of work (can use quotes from critics or galleries)
BA- English Lit, Wesleyan Univ, 1999
MFA- SVA, 2005
Notable work:
Borrowed Glitter and Steel Butterflies
Photographs strippers, burlesque performers, prostitutes, ect. Very Diane Arbus/Nan Goldin (minus the "friends" part).
2. 4 images and / or video/sound clips of artwork
Attached
3. a link to an interview with the artist or a review
http://sarahschorr.com/GalleryMain.asp?GalleryID=8928&AKey=Y2PRXC5P
click on the essays below.
4. link to gallery representing artist
www.yancyrichardson.com
5. link to artist website
www.sarahschorr.com
Shes not really doing anything profound, to me. Shes not bringing anything to the table. Shes not adding anything to the discussion or topic.
Shes doing exactly what i despise, which is using the lives and jobs of others to make her art. I dont feel that she has a right to do so, because she hasnt lived that life( as far as i know).
When i was in Vitello's sound class last semester, i showed some footage of strippers from my old job. I continuously get reactions such as:
What is your relationship to shock art?
Is it your intent to grab my attention?
Theres something about the fact that this business/lifestyle is commonplace to me and so shocking, edgy or new to everyone else on earth that makes the work depressing. I feel like Sarah Schorr is saying:
"Look at these people "performing"! Isnt it cool!?!?!? Yeah, i was there. I befriended "them". Isnt that freakin amazing?!" and then uses fancy language to make her exploitation of people who have to work to earn a living seem like a smart investigation of the seedy underbelly of whatever it is shes interested in.
Ive seen the sex workers art show. The "World Famous Bob" that she references is quite strong. Anyone who claims to enjoy the fact that they contribute to a fucked up way of thinking and interacting with women has an ability to create mental and emotional barriers that i can only hope to.
Thats not to say that people shouldnt be exposed to this world that only a few see. They should. As long as we keep sex and performance (and the like) taboo, then itll always be, well, taboo. I dont agree with sweeping it under the rug, but i also dont agree with people who have no idea what theyre doing going into MY world and putting me on display like evidence for the glittering assholes of the world to look at and feel cultured. They all report back to their lives which involve free money and no real worry and tell stories about "the stripper" they know.
"I once lived with a stripper"
"I knew this girl once, and she........ was a stripper!!!!!" (GASP!)
"I dated a stripper"
.....and all their friends and colleagues line up to hear the amazing stories of the stripper, the "fag", the whatevers that they were so lucky to have met.
I am not your evidence. I am not your story. I am not proof of how edgy you can be.
Yeah, i know ive sold my right to have any opinion on the matter. I chose my path.
But:
Where does this leave me? Obviously, i feel like i have more of a right to talk about this (stripper elitist, perhaps?), but im not really doing anything more than Sarah Schorr is. Im showing something. Applying some theory. So fucking what? Other than my experience playing The Game and personal resentment toward those who never had to, why do i have these opinions regarding this type of art?
No comments:
Post a Comment