Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Research for Studio Practice. Response. Glass Ceiling.

I had three interviews last night with women at my house, which I recorded on video. Ages 20, 26, 37.

When I asked my first question, "What does sexy mean to you?" the responses of the women almost didnt vary at all. The response was as if I were asking them a trick question. I had to interrupt them and clarify my question because the initial response was what the opposite sex thought was sexy.
No.
What does sexy mean to YOU?
It took longer than I had expected to get an answer for the first question because it seemed as if none of them had ever had the chance to think about what their idea of sexy might have been. Like, theyve never had to think about it for themselves because its been fed to them since day 1 by the media, their partners and other such outside factors.
Maybe sexy really does only mean what were told it means. Are we all THAT un-self-aware?
There was a lot of variance, however, in age and response (omg, really?!). the older the subject was, the less she cared.

My second question "What qualities should a woman possess in order to be powerful, according to you?" got similar answers.
Many of the girls answered "intelligence", and varied in their ways of saying competency, personality (whatever that means), and i even got "modesty" from a girl who's worked at a strip club for 400 years, which made me smile. Two also said that the ability to use femininity to get what you want is powerful.

Ill post the video's wednesday night.


_______________________________________________________
What does sexy mean to me?
competency, boldness, intelligence, connection with her own body, honesty and genuine thought.

What qualities should a woman possess in order to be powerful?
aggression, intelligence, mystery


I think I should perhaps be making work about the glass ceiling.
Maybe Im just over-thinking everything.
I dont think it is as bad as i make it seem, but if i believe it can be better, then ill disappoint myself.

3 comments:

Christina Adams said...

"the older the subject was, the less she cared."

Age may have less to do with how someone feels about sexy than circumstances. It's difficult to feel sexy when you have a genetic disorder that fucks with your skin and you hurt all the time. It's also difficult when you have major depression...

Not feeling sexy is a real loss to me ( I used to sooo enjoy it), but like most things I've lost, I just have to block it out and keep moving or one day I'll follow through on the waking thought I have every morning before climbing out of bed. Ya know?

Nia said...

true. youre right. the 20 year olds have less shit to handle than the not 20 year olds. they HAVE the time and energy to worry about it.

excellent point.

Nia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.