



Did anyone critique your work this week? If so, what were their impressions?
I got a critique from Candice Breitz. I showed her the sound piece i was working on. Her impression of the piece was that it was too much like house music, that the context in which its played is most important, and that i should really think about WHO the piece is aimed at. Is this for old white men? Is it for an informed audience? Is it for pissed off women everywhere?
What was the most motivational or creative moment of the past week?
I found lots of books about deadpan. I decided that this is what i need to be doing, and this method is going to be the best way of getting my point across. I need to find strip club owners that will let me shoot in their place of "business".
What do you want to achieve in next week's studio practice?
Id like to have a sketch video completely shot. Perhaps some stills. Maybe Polaroids again. Sound is debatable for this idea.
What did you achieve in your studio this past week?
I decided on a proper shooting method. I made a really awesome (to me) photo triptych about fishets. I did shoot 4 or 5 "sketch" videos deadpan style, which i hate. I took hundreds of photos of my feet.
What has been an artistic failure this week?
I cant seem to get any good fucking footage. I should be doing this whole deadpan thing with 4x5, but its too late in the game, im aiming for may 09, and paul said i shouldnt. i agree. its important that i do well with what im good at so that i can make this work great in the amount of time i have.
What was the most profound thought in relation to your practice this week?
During her lecture Breitz showed glitchy pieces showcasing certain words from songs by Madonna, Freddy Mercury and the like. I was so excited I almost peed in my pants because its nice to see art that works on two different levels. Its for an informed audience and "regualar people". If i hear the word "esoteric" again im going to throw myself out of a window. Artwork CAN function on multiple levels. I hate the idea of assuming the audience is the smart, informed group that the institution of art school insists it be. Breitz is PROOF that you can have work function and be successful on many levels with many layers.
Goddammit, i WILL do that. Fuck the high society "esoteric" bullshit. Theyre cool, and theyre invited to view my art too, but seriously, we have to leave room for joe-schmo as well.
If there was a visiting artist this week, what is your impression of their work and process in relation to your own?
I think i want to have her babies. I loved the simplicity, complexity, humor, wit, severity and the installation. i love that she works with the public, much like myself. She doesnt forget about real people.
I need to post more than one photo:
1. deadpan hot-diggity
2. reneke, my baby momma
3. i really want these shoes.
4. deadpan super conceptual social statement-diggity.
No comments:
Post a Comment