Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thursday Entry 2



Thoughts of interest – Week in review

Did anyone critique your work this week? If so, what were their impressions?
My group crit this week was very helpful. The general impression from my peers is that i need to work on refining some of my imagery. I give my viewer too much both with visuals and sound. I need to do one or the other and i need to make it less obvious and stop spoon feeding my viewer.

What was the most motivational or creative moment of the past week?
The most motivational moment of the week was when Vitello was discussing the means by which we make our art. Although he was talking specifically about sound, this can be applied throughout all art practice. He talked about 4 tracks, low fi and many other ways of making sound art and basically said that whatever works, works. Its always nice hearing someone else be on your side regarding technology and quality of work.
Also, my new sound piece is coming along well and sunday night in the studio editing it was particularly exciting. Not sure why. I think because i have a clear idea for once.

What do you want to achieve in next week's studio practice?
I want to make a video sketch about a quote from an essay about being connected with, then removed from the body over time. I aim to make it LESS literal. I also want to halfway finish this sound piece and also watch the movie Closer and get a judith butler book.

What did you achieve in your studio this past week?
I finished my Look at me Look at you Look at me video and had it critiqued. I started my sound project for Vitello and reluctantly read some stripper theory, which actually ended up helping a bit. shh, dont tell anyone.

What has been an artistic failure this week?
I sort of got my ass handed to me regarding some surveillance footage that "magically" appeared in my docudrama. I couldnt seem to get the point across that ethics of any kind, regarding THAT man were of absolutely no concern to me.

What was the most profound thought in relation to your practice this week?
its pretty fucking profound to feel that im progressing forward through the dreaded stripper theory books.

If there was a visiting artist this week, what is your impression of their work and process in relation to your own?
n/a

1 comment:

Paul Thulin-Jimenez said...

Paul Thulin has read your blog up to this point/entry.