Tuesday, February 17, 2009

*Thesis Committee 1 (notes)


1. these are some of my notes:

-whole show layed out is of concern. might get sealed up too fast?
-some pieces not finished.
-not sure exactly what theme is.
-not developed enough to be seen as one piece.
-how should one read this?
-not clear enough.
-finesse the found footage more.....more deliberate editing.
-BootyMeat seems to be the least worked and least edited.
-introduction says too much.
-consider removing the punchline.
-play more off of the "commercial" idea in intro piece.
-consider the effects of frustrating the viewer more.
-intro, is a bit "preachy"
-consider making the shoe piece SUPER seamless in the break.
-fix the flow in BootyMeat
-have done lots of writing; what works as a whole? what one thing has kept coming up as a coherent thread?
-think about one piece that could sum up this work.
-make a fake ppt presentation to talk about work.
-make one piece based on love, one based on hate (hallelujah.)
-loosten up with the outline/organization and dont miss something good that might happen because im following a structure too closely.
-2 sides: the professional and the amature. (good? bad?)
-videos not communicating with eachother.
-investigate tension/ownership
-truth piece: play with text.
-86 tag line with the word truth
-Guidubard (ask heide how to spell)
-self indulgent?
-critical distance?
-for hate piece: delve into hate towards men, and double standards i create.
-valerie solenis- scum manifesto
-i shot andy warhol
-vale export
-camera shake interesting
-this is now a portrait.
-mass distrabution
-find more shit written now
-type in "digital culture", npr.....how to break up on facebook and other stuff.
-stop man hating

2. This is what info im pulling out of that and the video:

There was an overall feeling of nervousness when i layed out "the plan" for the space. Sealing up the idea too fast might not allow for development into more places. Being too organized is not always a good thing. I understand this. That proposal was very general and can move or shift at any time. I made it because i feel like at this point, id be stupid not to seriously be considering the overall read of this project within its space. Ill try to loosen up, but i got a good space, and im really just trying to bring it. I have to.

Regarding the "introduction" i should reconsider the punchline, possibly roll with the commercialness of it all and play with different ways of saying what it is i want to say. Currently, its saying too much, too easy and perhaps i should consider the "frustration" issue that is a big part of the youtube/appropriated footage piece. Its also a little too preachy.

Next, the BootyMeat/Youtube/appropriated footage video.....I should finesse the editing so that it flows better. I should consider deleting the background environments of the participants. I should be aware of the tension/ownership situation that occurs between this and the cleaner, white background work. Mainly, the editing was a big concern. I feel like this method has been the best received so far, at least in comparison to the studio shot footage.

In general, I have the potential to come across as self indulgent, and lacking in critical distance, especially after my comment about male authors. I feel i should clarify that. I dont mean to say that males have nothing to say. They have a lot to say. I suppose what i really meant was that i do not often trust male writers when they write about strip clubs (the ones that women dance in, specifically). With everything that ive read, it is often so grossly inaccurate, that I sometimes cannot get through the reading. Thats not to say that competent male feminist writers do not exist and that is not to say that competent men don't exist. Im sure they do. What I meant to say was this:
My experience in life and with men is very limited. Much of what i think and say about the male population is a defense mechanism because the negative experiences have been so concentrated and so powerful and that has a lot of weight. I often wrongly dismiss much of the male population out of fear.

This brings me to the next point in the discussion: Critical Distance. Yes. This is my problem and I need to handle it. (I am a believer in evidence. I dont rely much on hope or faith.) The self indulgence question was brought up. I argue that all art is self indulgent, but i see Amy's point. I need to get all of this in check.

I need to look at more writing that has been done NOW (ie- last 20-30 years). I need to research more into digital culture because I feel like thats the best received work, correct me if im wrong, please!!!!
I need to come up with a way to address my double standards/hate relationship with myself and with the male species. Thats next, in addition to the other, which i still dont feel 100% comfortable with.
I also need to make this work so that they all tie in together as one body of different pieces and all equal one thing.

1 comment:

maistro said...

Nia,

You summarized it really well as far as I am concerned. I think the Booty Meat piece is one of the more successful ones, but with finessing the others could really shine.

Guy DeBord and his Society of the Spectacle,or I dunno some of David Hickey's writing maybe? I don't know if you have 40 books already perhaps you should listen to Paul and not me.