Sunday, February 8, 2009

******How did we get here?


I used to know you so well.


1. Did anyone crit your work this week? If so, what were their impressions?
i recorded it on video also.....
Truth Sketch---
-more successful of the two
-this one is more specific
-has more content, more to work from
-consider all text, no image.
-its good that im taking responsibility of my treatment of my subjects/women in general
-billboard like....consider print?
-propaganda
-play with timing
-would function as a good lead in for the beginning of the series
-displays my love/hate relationship with women and strong sexuality
-examine the fact that i like the attention

BootyMeat---
-mind wanders about midway through
-why asses?
-"but all DIY videos have the enter/exit aspect"
-music thows in an extra hook.
-looks like a youtube playlist. (DUH!)
-"can of worms" issue- dealing with a lot....sexuality, sexualization, culture, feminisim, why, why why....
-not specific enough
-interest is there, the piece isnt.
-exploitation--"look at these poor girls that havnt thought of all the things that smart nia did"
-tighten this editing

Overall:
-pair down my goals.....narrow my questions.
-consider the fact that im using the medium to critique the medium.
-one question per piece.
-embrace the exhibitionism
-research more psych/feminist writing
-what is my profound statement?
-combine love/hate in ONE piece?
-limit what im talking about to just myself, not my projections on planet earth
-make a piece based on an investigation of myself.

MY REACTIONS:
im going to reshoot the Truth Sketch in a different wardrobe and eliminate the text and add it back in with handwriting instead. this will probably function as the first piece in the series and will probably have no sound and maybe be the only one with text. My talk with Paul about it confused me on tuesday.
Regarding BootyMeat, im not done with this. I will tighten the editing and add more people. I see this functioning as a "side note" of sorts. I made this because i see a lot of myself in the girls in the videos. I dont know WHY each individual girl chose to record her ass shaking, but i do know that she did it, and for that reason i see a lot of me in them, and a lot of them in me. Even though I am not in it, i am. The motives of the girls who hit Record are all different, conflicting, contradictory, MUCH LIKE MY OWN MOTIVES FOR WHAT I DO. I did, in fact, appropriate footage, edit it to fit my thought/idea....isnt that what it is? maybe im confused about the proper use of appropriated footage. I dont mind the fact that it looks like it could be a youtube playlist. I am using that language. I am worried about the can of worms issue. I know im commenting on a lot within this, but i just want to highlight the ONE part that i want to talk about, which is the jumping in and out of frame, which for me, references the decision to start and stop the act. The act doesnt matter as much. It could be anything. I choose booty because, again, i know how to talk about asses and titties. It is, after all, all i can ever be (hahaha). How the hell do i do this? Bottom line: Fuck it, im doing it. I need Pete really bad for this one because i AM talking about a lot of shit and only highlighting one part.....is that ok?
I NEEEEEED to highlight more of this love/hate relationship i have with myself and my actions, convictions, ect.
Im not being too sensitive. Im frustrated. Theres a difference. But I feel really good, my crit was informative. I needed that. Im glad i went first.
My profound statement? ...I am trying to exist in a world where theres no end and ill be sexualized no matter what and i love that and hate that. I dont have answers, but i have more questions than youll ever have time for. <----Thats my profound statement.


2. What was the most motivational or creative moment of the past week?
the crit was good. I had a good conversation with steph and ari at the cracker barrel about it. steph is good for that, she can articulate the things i cant. arianna was scared because this was the first time shes ever been around the both of us where we werent a screaming ball of energy. not sure what to think about that. she brought it up to me later that night, and it sounded as if she was expressing concern.

3. What do you want to achieve in next week's studio practice?
im going to shoot and edit the Truth Sketch into a final product for the 17th. Dammit. and Ill collect a bank of footage for the New and Improved and better thought out BootyMeat. Im also going to write descriptions for 2-3 pieces that ill reference in my dissertation.

4. What did you achieve in your studio this past week?
i had crit. i needed to prepare. i did round one of BootyMeat and the Trugh Sketch. I need to officially title shit from now on.

5. What was the most profound thought in relation to your practice this week?
i held Lily and didnt feel the urge to drop her. in fact, we looked at some paintings of horses together at the VMFA and some fabrige (sp?) eggs because she likes things that sparkle (a girl after my own heart). when i said before that i despise children, i meant it. but i wasnt ill when i held lily. maybe it means im growing the fuck up. i still dont want children and Pauls daughter still scared the hell out of me when she gave me eye contact, but my reactions are getting more neutral instead of "terror. run now. go. faster. get away". I just about ran from Scout because she was too powerful for me and i couldnt handle it. Kids have these built in bullshit detectors. They know when somethings up. When Lily and Scout look me in the eye, i swear, theyre thinking "bitch, get it together, its not that serious". before, that scared me. now i can think "ok. im trying, dont ya see?"





ALSO:
www.kepvid.com
www.twitter.com

No comments: