Monday, February 2, 2009

Research on the Ass

i <3 Miss Olia.


http://art.teleportacia.org/observation/infinite_seance_2/


__________________________
As you can already tell from my previous writings, I like the idea of entering someone elses personal space anonymously. I like that vulnerability because it creates curiosity within the viewer. This applies both personally and professionally. Everytime i perform, in a way, im letting someone in. Im letting them have a piece to consume. I like offering it up. (Again, its the one on one interaction that sucks my soul right out of my body). I like the personal touches of the space the performer exists within. It adds some truth to the performer.
Im also interested in the deliberate focus on the space. In the past, I have deliberately chosen to eliminate it in an attempt to talk about the mask (characterization). It served its purpose. What if I put it back in to speak about this truth that i keep referring to? (Wait! Bear with me...)
I am especially interested in Lialina's discussion of the "do it yourself" method of creating/display within the work. No editors, no cameraman. Untouched. She is the performer, the editor, the camera(wo)man, the choreographer, the makeup artist, the wardrobe creator. Granted, she may be following somewhat of a formula, she still adds on her own twists that she feels makes this video experience more "her". Even if "her" is also a formula and she isnt self aware enough to see that. To her, its her. Who gives a shit what the rest of us think?
This format of working, I think, gives the performer the ultimate control. She decides everything but who sees her.....and really, lets face it, even THAT can be controlled. Youtube has privacy settings. She can also choose to put it on XTube. or her own personal site. Or send it to her partner. Or she could choose to leave it on her harddrive and no one sees it.

I want to add to this and participate in this conversation. What if the performers were left in the videos? Then were left with many examples all collaged into my idea of what is the true(r) performance. Complete control over every element of the prodction. Eyes on you. Thats power. No matter if its ass shaking, pole dancing, knitting demos, car tune ups, whatever. Like Lonelygirl15, but real. Perhaps that "young girl talking about herself" song is kind of lame. I think "she" (whoever she is) is taking on a kind of power and control that shes not even aware of. Yes, no one cares about her getting the lead in the school play, but who gives a shit?! THAT, is powerful, if you ask me. "She" doesnt even realize it. Its really sad that "she" does think people give a shit, actually, because thats what makes people want to make fun of "her".


MORE TO COME AFTER I EAT

No comments: