Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thursday Entry 12



1. Did anyone critique your work this week? If so, what were their impressions?
Paul said dont worry about Vanessa Beecroft.
Sonali said dont worry about Vanessa Beecroft.
Sonali also commented on a few of my videos on youtube. She said there was progress. I have exchanged a few emails with her this week and we have a one-on-one tomorrow.
I talked to Hassan tonight. He asked a few questions i need to think about:
-Is the work about the girls voice or the viewers expectation?
-Is this about denial (of action) or broken expectations.

I said that my goal was to give the girls a voice through the toying with of the viewers expectations and that the work uses denial to break expectations of the viewer, thus creating a conversation about performance/roles/power/control/everything on earth. So basically its all of them. I have a lot to say?
It needs to be more resolved.

Theres a general idea that the real time is working better than the glitchy movements. I need to have one more crit with Pete and Amy before final crit. Im struggling with sound. I talked to Hassan about that too. He had many good things to say regarding what I should do, but i have to let it all sink in before i cant talk about it.

2. What was the most motivational or creative moment of the past week?
Last Friday in Eversons class we watched a Pipilotti Rist marathon. It made me want to run out and make less structured art. So much of my work is structured and based on grids and patterns.
Im making a Venetian bird mask over break to be a part in my videos. I miss sculpture.

3. What do you want to achieve in next week's studio practice?
Id like to edit my entire final piece and begin the sound (ha!).

4. What did you achieve in your studio this past week?
This week i finished a rough cut of my first channel of the final piece. I also did a rough cut of an Andy Warhol tribute version. I began a sound piece about 1950's etiquette. I actually took some still photographs. I assisted Steph with a medium format shoot last Sunday. I futilely attempted helping her edit her video. I modeled for Jennidas waitron project last night. I shot 3 or 4 new idea clips with my new video camera.

5. What has been an artistic failure this week?
I really dont know Final Cut as well as i should. I basically use it to do what i need to do, but after that, i dont know much. I happen to have very simple editing methods. Sonali puts my skills to shame. Im glad were doing a tutorial. I hate that I couldnt figure out what was wrong with my settings the other day. I have a hot temper. Steph suggested that I go home when i tried to help her.
I also wish I could book more models.
I also failed to make that awesome ghetto booty/empty room piece that Paul loved so much in my blog. I should have done that shit. It was brilliant.
I threw my planner out of my window while driving because I was mad. Now i dont know my own schedule.
There was something else, but now im forgetting.

6. What was the most profound thought in relation to your practice this week?
Character is how you treat people who you know can do nothing for you. (This is the best thing my mother has ever said)

7. If there was a visiting artist this week, what is your impression of their work and process in relation to your own?
nada


Im posting two new videos. Theyre all on youtube incase anyone cares. I dont usually post them all on here because youll probably get them all mixed up. I post only the decent ones on the blog. The process is on the youtube channel.





and this one is just for fun:

.......hense the photos at the top of the post. working women. shes doing the shocker for a reason you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ulP2R9EdAE

For Hendershot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-xVR9CCZ8

.....and this is my favorite because im going to marry lil wayne.

No comments: