Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Burks, Grad Research Assignment: Discussion Questions on Article or Essay (6 of 7)

Mizuta Lippit, Akira. "bnet." Find Articles. June 1997. Find Articles. 4 Nov 2008 .

1. Discuss the idea of the machine and the mnemonic or strips of memory in relation to the stripper show performative work and the work of Martin Arnold. What is it referencing and how and on what layers?1. Discuss the idea of the machine and the mnemonic or strips of memory in relation to the stripper shoe performative work and the work of Martin Arnold. What is it referencing and how and on what layers?


In my work I employ some of the same devices as Martin Arnold such as repetition and forward/reverse with speed alterations because I aim to have my girls resemble machines slightly. For me, this references a metaphoric mechanical feeling and action and demeanor, often times adopted by long time dancers, performers, and many women in general, in an attempt to be able to function within this world; club, job, or societal construct. Within the world of the male gaze, it references a customers (man’s) almost “simulacra” expectations of women; all the same. No variance. One is many, many is one. The repetition can serve as a glitch in the machine or also a human/emotional interruption to the performance created by me, thus lending itself to the idea of the potential end of a performance that we have chosen to perform, acknowledging that perhaps we still are backed into a corner.


2. Discuss my constructed machine and why I choose so adamantly to employ it within the work.

I am beginning to think that a more specific action must chosen to repeat and not all, or random action. Profound, I know. Please, hold your applause. I am adamant about using this device because I believe it does clearly illustrate the mechanical actions/demeanor of the dancer and the mechanical expectations from many of the men I am referring to. This is an idea I already began discussing over the summer with my book Machine. The idea of something constructed to do a job is fascinating and needs to be referenced and discussed within the work itself. Perhaps a more subtle use might also speak louder. This is not a device I can easily abandon because it holds such strong connotation, as explained above. The question is what, and how to better employ the device to create meaning, not confusion. Thus, the goal for the next 4 weeks until final.

No comments: